Dysphagia: From Assessment to Discharge – Tiffani L. Wallace
- Involuntary weight loss vs. adult failure to thrive
- The relationship between aspiration, pneumonia and reflux
- Strategies to assist in weight gain
- When alternative nutrition is no longer an option
- Updates in diagnostic criteria to distinguish between palliative care vs. care for chronically-ill patients
Attend this seminar and learn functional assessment techniques and discover how the cranial nerves drive both assessment and treatment. Join national speaker and dysphagia expert, Tiffani Wallace, MA, CCC-SLP, BRS-S, LSVT Certified Clinician, MBSImP Registered Clinician, as she teaches you practical, functional and affordable strategies and techniques that can be immediately incorporated into your workday.
Learn the latest, most effective techniques and exercises, including:
- Pharyngeal exercises
- Exercise-based therapy
- Oral manipulation
- Effortful swallow
- Using the bolus as resistance
Take home affordable alternative treatment tools and assessment techniques. Muscle-based exercise is emphasized throughout the course, along with ideas you can utilize the next day!
PART 1: ASSESSMENT
- Disease Processes
- Lab Values
Oral Mech Exam
- Cranial Nerve Examination
- Cervical Auscultation
- Ounce Water Swallow Test
- Symptoms/Indications from the Swallow Assessment
PART II: TREATMENT
- Kinesio Taping®
- Pharyngeal Exercises
- Myofascial Release
- Mendelsohn Maneuver
- Oral Manipulation
- Effortful Swallow
- Lingual with Resistance
- Myofascial Release
- Beckman Program
- Pressure Biofeedback
- Chin Tuck
- Head Turn
- Supra and Super-Supra Glottic Swallow
- Head Back/Chin Up
- Side Lying
Technology in Dysphagia Therapy
- iPad®/iPhone® apps
- Android apps for dysphagia
- Online Dysphagia Resources
- Describe a cranial nerve assessment and the function of the cranial nerves.
- Identify key elements necessary for the development of a comprehensive dysphagia evaluation.
- Summarize therapeutic treatment strategies to increase the functional swallow.
- Examine contributing factors to dysphagia such as: medications, lab values and cranial nerve dysfunction.
- Explain neuroplasticity principles to increase swallow function.
- Identify ways that technology can be incorporated in dysphagia therapy.
Would you like to receive Tiffani L. Wallace – Dysphagia ?
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Tiffani L. Wallace, MA, CCC -SLP, BRS-S, LSVT Certified Clinician, MBSImP Registered Clinician, has been assessing and treating patients of all ages with dysphagia for over 10 years. She recently earned her Board Recognized Specialty in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (BRS-S). She is certified in Vitalism, Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation (DPNS), McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program (MDTP), LSVT Loud and is a Modified Barium Impairment Profile Registered Clinician (MBSImP). Tiffani currently works in a 25-bed critical access hospital, evaluating and treating inpatients and outpatients, including the completion of all modified barium swallow studies. She has learned how to work on a limited budget to provide the best therapy possible for her patients.
Tiffani writes a blog, Dysphagia Ramblings (dysphagiaramblings.blogspot.com), about various aspects of swallowing and swallowing disorders. She is very involved in social media and is on the public relations/social media committees for BRS-S and for the Indiana Speech and Hearing Association (ISHA). Tiffani has started 3 dysphagia groups on Facebook: Dysphagia Therapy Group, Dysphagia Therapy Group Professional Edition and Dysphagia Support. Tiffani is also an active SLPeep on Twitter.
Financial: Tiffani L. Wallace is receiving a fee for speaking at this educational activity. She currently receives compensation for serving on the Advisory Board for Smarty Ears Inc. and also receives royalties from the sale of Dysphagia2Go.
Nonfinancial: Tiffani created, and is the administrator of, the Dysphagia Therapy Group and Dysphagia Therapy Group-Professional Edition on Facebook and receives no compensation for either of these products.
Get Dysphagia: From Assessment to Discharge – Tiffani L. Wallace immediately!